Some may think babywearing is for hands free caregiving and whilst it is nice to strap a baby to your body and go for a walk or get cooking and cleaning done, babywearing benefits are practically ten fold!
1. Handsfree (duh) this is awesome! I wore babies while cooking, traveling, flying, shopping, and even riding ATVs in the rainforest once. No, I'm not kidding.
2. Speech development
Your baby is benefiting from hearing you speak throughout your day by being in such close proximity. The neurons in the brain are firing and reqiring to prepare for vocabulary, speech, volume, tone, and conversational skills. So...tell stories, meet a friend for coffee, talk on the phone, all while wearing your baby!
3. Muscle Tone
Baby is shifting weight in a sling and building core or perhaps holding neck up to look around while riding on your back. Maybe your newborn is getting tummy time while chets to chest with you and pushing against your body with arms and chest...suspension with appropriate support builds muscle tone. You're welcome!
4. Physiological wellbeing: your baby benefits from being lined up next to the parents body for regulating internal rhythms. They learn to match your heartbeat, breathing, and even digestion from being tummy to tummy.
5. Emotional development: A baby that is in close proximity to mom or dad has all emotional and social needs met automatically. Not only are they calmer and safer, but they're feeling loved and attended to without really needing to do anything to get your attention. Studies show these babies cry less and are generally more happy than babies that are not worn.
6. Condidence: Babies are in the psychosocial stage of trust vs mistrust. A worn baby develops towards trust in their caregiver, and therefore the world because they feel safe and assured they'll be cared for. They don't experience the flailing, crying, lost in space feeling babies feel when they're left lying alone on a cot or blanket without caregivers nearby. Trust me...a baby with all their needs met is less "needy".
7. Brain development: A worn baby is experiencing the sensory benefit of love, touch, pheremones, and cuddling that build the brain! Neurons fire and rewire to build the brain throughout the course of the days. This is also a form of attachment parenting, scientifcally proven to produce more intelligent kiddos who do better in school and socially from secure attachment!
Bonus: The Tantrum Tamer: As a twin mom, my baby carrier was essentially an extension of my body. I wore my Mia Milly around my waist and if there was a tantrum or one running a different direction than the other (which was inevitable), I'd strap him on, flip him to the back and chase the other. In fact, I didn't work out the first few years of their life. Instead, I wore them lol.
Best carriers in my opinion are shown below. Read descriptions to be sure you get the best one for your size and family's needs.
Parenting expert, blogger, inventor, single mom to twins, barefoot nomad, adventure seeker, boho spirit, advocate of play